Monday, February 25, 2008

And so it begins...

Through this blog I'm going to be recording my experience with Champix - a stop smoking aid that was introduced to Australia on January 1 2008. There's plenty of commentary on the web about various side effects of the drug ranging from nausea to suicidal thoughts. So I'm hoping that I'll give everyone a personal account of any such side effects AND if it actually stops me smoking

A bit of background:

I've been smoking for 12 years and am absolutely sick of it for all the obvious reasons. I've tried so many "quit smoking" aids it's not funny. Nicotine gum/patches are crap, a friend of mine has been on the gum for almost 2 years! Bugger that. Laser acupuncture worked well for a bit, but then after about 3 months was silly & smoked at a party - we all know what happens after that...
Hypnotherapy worked equally well, but again, during a night of drunken madness picked up the cancer sticks again.

The closest thing I've tried to Champix is Zyban, which I wouldn't recommend to anyone, crazy dreams, moodyness, slight nausea - didn't agree with me at all. So I'm quite keen to see what happens with Champix, hopefully I don't turn into Mr. Hyde...

So I've set the date, March 10 is when I'll start taking the pills. According to the doc I have to take them for a week before I start cutting down on the cigs, then after 2 weeks of taking them I should have stopped altogether.

Wish me luck!

No comments: