Friday, March 7, 2008

Third day on the pills

It's Friday afternoon and I would normally have smoked 10 cigarettes by now, yet today, I've only had 6. I'm well happy about that. How come you may ask, me too! It's only been 3 days since I started taking Champix and they're kicking in already! Let me be clear, I've had 1 pill a day for the last 3 days, as of tomorrow I start taking 2 a day. Bloody brilliant!

Went down for a smoke about an hour ago and couldn't even finish it! The taste is really not very nice and quite frankly the buzz that I would normally get is pathetic. At this rate, I'll be a non smoker by Monday.

As for the side effects, hardly anything. I get a bit nauseous in the morning straight after taking the pill, but that goes away quite quickly. Might try having some breakfast with it tomorrow morning, from what I've heard that helps a lot. It's early days still, but so far Champix is nothing like Zyban, I distinctly remember the crazy dreams on that pretty much from the start.

I'm going out for dinner tonight, then a wedding tomorrow, so will be interesting to see how I go, especially as these are the times when I would normally smoke a lot.

Anyone else taking Champix / Chantix where it kicked in so early??

6 comments:

J1Mp4_Dap said...

So it looks like you got back smoking on the end of the 3rd day, didn't you? :)

8ritamitamaid said...

Hey Simon, what's happened since March? Just wanted to let you know that Champix has so far worked excellently for me - 7 weeks + and so much easier than any time I've given up in the past. Don't want to kill anybody this time!
In case you did get back to smoking, something I did was read Allan Carr's "The Only Way to Stop Smoking Permanently" in conjunction with the drugs - I can't believe how easy this has seemed this time. Good luck and keep at it - it is worth it and doesn't have to be that hard.

Anonymous said...

The main doses of chantix medication are 0.5mg and 1mg tablets. At the start of the treatment, you need to take the lower dose and then increase it after few weeks. The recommended dose of chantix should be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water. The treatment period with chantix medication extends to about 12 weeks. http://www.chantixhome.com/

PAEBAC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J1Mp4_Dap said...

I can tell you some of my personal experiences.

To make it clear, I am back to smoking nevertheless I was off smoking for months while using champix.

I quit on the end of the 2nd week and you will feel that it really works. After 1 week my eager to carve after cigarettes has started to go down pretty much so it wasn't really a challenge to quit after 2 weeks.

After 1 month non smoking it started to get harder, but 2 weeks later it was all back to normal.

I guess it is a good way to quit smoking, but learn from my mistake, don't think you hade quit after a few months. Rumors (friends who quit) say it takes around 2 years to get absolutely over it.

Good luck!

8ritamitamaid said...

Great to get some feedback from others!

I'm very happy to say that I'm now at 8 months of not smoking - yayyy! As a confirmed smoker, I never thought I'd give up, but it's actually happened - I think thanks mainly to Champix - and am so glad the car-back-firing cough has disappeared. The clearing cough is still around a bit, but I suppose that's to be expected after 32 years of smoking (I'm 45).

As another ex-smoking friend and I say in regards to giving up - it isn't that bad or hard - you just have to get to that point where you're ready to do it. I occasionally get the urge, but it also passes very quickly. Not that bad at all.

And I LOVE the money I can now spend on whatever I want!

Overall I'd say this was extremely worth it - actually, I'm sure of it. Good luck to all who attempt giving up smoking - IT'S NOT THAT BAD.

xxxx